[cfe-dev] [lldb-dev] stable layout bug for imported record decls.

Gábor Márton via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 10 09:42:09 PDT 2018

Hi Lang, Alexey,

I dug deeper into this and it seems like the issue happens only when a
**minimal** import is used. LLDB uses the minimal import. CrossTU
static analyzer uses the normal mode.
In normal import mode, in `ImportDeclContext` we do import all the
methods in the correct order. However, in minimal mode we early return
before importing the methods.
So by merging D44100 this particular problem will not be solved.
Still, that patch sounds very reasonable and I support that we should
reorder all imported Decls, not just fields.

One trivial solution would be to change `ImporDeclContext` to behave
the same way in both modes. This is somewhat similar to the "brute
force" method you mentioned.
I am not an LLDB expert, so I am not sure if this is acceptable, and
really don't know how many LLDB tests would it break, but this seems
the simplest solution (and preferred) to me.

The other solution if you'd like to keep the minimal behavior is the
index based solution (as you mentioned).
You should compare the order of all the imported methods (and fields)
to the order in the original class in the "From" context. And I
believe you have to do that at the end of VisitFunctionDecl. It would
not work if you did that check when the type become complete, since in
minimal mode we never set the class to be incomplete.

I have created a unit test case, which fails in minimal mode and
succeeds in normal mode. You can change the mode in
`ASTImporterTestBase::TU::lazyInitImporter`.
If you provide a patch then could you please also add this test (or
similar) for both normal and minimal mode?
```
TEST_P(ASTImporterTestBase, OrderOfVirtualMethods) {
  auto Code =
      R"(
      class Base {
      public:
        virtual void bar() {}
        virtual void foo() {}
      };

      class Derived : public Base {
      public:
        void foo() override {}
      };
      )";
  Decl *FromTU = getTuDecl(Code, Lang_CXX11, "input0.cc");
  auto *DerivedFoo = FirstDeclMatcher<FunctionDecl>().match(
      FromTU, functionDecl(hasName("foo"),
                           hasParent(cxxRecordDecl(hasName("Derived")))));
  auto *BaseBar = FirstDeclMatcher<FunctionDecl>().match(
      FromTU, functionDecl(hasName("bar"),
                           hasParent(cxxRecordDecl(hasName("Base")))));

  Import(DerivedFoo, Lang_CXX);
  // Importing Base::bar explicitly is needed only in minimal mode,
  // in normal mode we already imported all methods of Base.
  Import(BaseBar, Lang_CXX);

  Decl *ToTU = ToAST->getASTContext().getTranslationUnitDecl();
  auto *ImportedBase = FirstDeclMatcher<CXXRecordDecl>().match(
      ToTU, cxxRecordDecl(hasName("Base")));
  MatchVerifier<Decl> Verifier;
  EXPECT_TRUE(Verifier.match(ImportedBase,
                             cxxRecordDecl(hasMethodOrder({"bar", "foo"}))));
}
```

Thanks,
Gabor