[cfe-dev] Clang - Requesting Help

mats petersson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 8 11:20:44 PDT 2018

I'm not sure I can offer much direct help, but I think it may help if you
explain more precisely what it is you're struggling with?
- Do you (not) understand the overall concept of how (modern) compilers
work?
- Do you have some experience in working with tree-data structures in
general? And specifically non-uniform trees (nodes have many different
types of nodes in AST)

None of the above are entirely trivial, and it will take some effort to
learn these things.

If you have a specific task in mind, perhaps describing what you have done
so far (in form of code or words, whichever you think is the best way to
describe it), and a more precise description of what you're struggling with.

I've not done much work on Clang AST myself, I've built my own compiler
generating code through LLVM - my compiler has it's own form of AST nodes.
I found the Kaleidoscope example good for learning "how to build your own
compiler".
https://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/LangImpl03.html

If you haven't done so yet, and you have enough time to spend a few weeks
on [probably full time days], I would definitely recommend starting to
write your own compiler on top of LLVM - use (a subset of) an existing
compiled language that you already know at least reasonably well, and start
with the very basics - even building a trivial programmable calculator
would be a learning experience if you haven't done that before.

Good luck.

--
Mats