[cfe-dev] How does clang-format parse snippets?

Stuart Thomson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 1 02:24:15 PDT 2018

Hi,

I'm interested in using clang to refactor snippets of C++ for which I can't produce an AST. AFAIK this precludes the use of clang tools like clang-check and I wondered if clang-format could be used instead as it doesn't seem to require the production of an AST. I don't quite understand how clang-format works and have a couple of questions:

  1.  Is it possible to somehow use clang-format for refactoring C++ according to custom rules? These refactors would be larger scale things than it seems to usually be used for.
  2.  How does clang-format parse C++ without e.g. parsing the includes?

Thanks,
Stuart