[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Implementing -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks in clang

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 30 13:24:48 PDT 2018

On 30 April 2018 at 11:14, John McCall via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
> wrote:

> > On Apr 28, 2018, at 4:12 PM, Sanjoy Das via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 3:56 PM, Manoj Gupta via llvm-dev
> > <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >> My understanding is we only want to disable  the optimizations regarding
> >> undefined behavior
> >> related to null pointer deference optimizations. And address space
> checks
> >> will end up
> >> disabling more optimizations than needed.
> >
> > [Repeating what others have already mentioned on this thread]
> >
> > I this it is better to avoid framing this as "disable optimizations that
> exploit
> > UB" and instead frame this as "define some behavior that was undefined
> before".
> >
> >> I did look at some of the optimizations/transforms and there are some
> that
> >> we definitely want to keep.
> >>
> >> Just a quick example from grepping:
> >> lib/Transforms/Scalar/LoopIdiomRecognize.cpp
> >>             // Don't create memset_pattern16s with address spaces.
> >>             StorePtr->getType()->getPointerAddressSpace() == 0 &&
> >>             (PatternValue = getMemSetPatternValue(StoredVal, DL))) {
> >>    // It looks like we can use PatternValue!
> >>    return LegalStoreKind::MemsetPattern;
> >>  }
> >>
> >> Even worse, Sanitizers do NOT work with address spaces which is a big
> deal
> >> breaker IMO.
> >
> > IMO fixing these seems less engineering overhead in the long term than
> > introducing
> > yet another knob to the IR.
> >
> > More importantly, we should _not_ be doing these optimizations without
> auditing
> > them individually.  For instance with -fno-delete-null-pointer checks,
> it isn't
> > okay to change a memset loop to a call to llvm.memset unless we've
> ensured llvm
> > DTRT for llvm.memset and null checks (i.e. the null check in
> "llvm.memset(ptr,
> > ...); if (!ptr) {}" does not get optimized away).
> >
> >> Since address spaces and null pointers are really orthogonal issues, I
> would
> >> prefer to
> >> not conflate them.
> >
> > I'm not sure I agree with this.  Address spaces are a mechanism to
> provide
> > additional semantics to pointers.  In this case the additional property
> we
> > want is "address 0 may be dereferenceable", and using address spaces
> seems
> > appropriate.
> >
> >> In addition, It is already not easy to convince Linux Kernel
> maintainers to
> >> accept clang specific patches.
> >
> > Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought in this address space scheme
> we'd
> > still provide a -fno-delete-null-ptr-checks flag -- it is clang that
> [...]

hardcoded address space numbers entirely? Abstractly it seems like an extra
layer of indirection here could help (eg, we could allow IR to define
address spaces that can be part of pointer types, and those could nominate
which target-specific pointer representation and interpretation they use --
perhaps by name instead of by number -- as well as other properties such as
whether zero is a valid address).