[cfe-dev] [PING][BUG] -Wunreachable-code not working

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 12 18:53:59 PDT 2018

I didn't look at these clang warnings specifically, so i might be
completely wrong, but i suspect that a lot of warnings are suppressed in
mere presence of macros. It is just too easy to produce weird code by
combining completely valid macros. Probably not the best example but
gives a rough idea:

   #ifdef WINDOWS
   #define SHOULD_USE_X 0
   #else
   #define SHOULD_USE_X shouldUseX();
   #endif

   if (SHOULD_USE_X) {
     // Should we emit a deadcode warning here under Windows?
   }

Such suppression might probably be made less brutal, but i'll be
surprised if it were possible to get away with not having it at all. And
it's pretty tricky to find deadcode before the preprocessor runs, when
you're still capable of accidentally concatenating 'ret' and 'urn' into
'return'. So it's not the most pleasant problem to solve, and it's
usually not that terrible when we don't give a warning (it's much less
terrible than emitting a warning that's not actionable), so people
usually make various suppressions for this sort of stuff.