[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Temporaries.

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 12 13:10:47 PDT 2018

On 14 February 2018 at 22:20, Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]
> (CXXTemporary 0x7fa5ac85cac0)
>                 `-CXXTemporaryObjectExpr 0x7fa5ac85ca88 <col:16, col:18>
> 'C' 'void ()'
>
> *here goes a periodic reminder that CXXTemporaryObjectExpr is a sub-class
> of CXXConstructExpr*
>
> Notice how MaterializeTemporaryExpr is the innermost expression (the first
> one in the order of execution) that is an lvalue. Essentially, you can
> think of it as the mythical "rvalue-to-lvalue" cast that takes in a C++
> object rvalue and returns the this-value for that object. Because all C++
> objects have a this-value that never changes throughout their lifetime, it
> is essentially their identity. Otherwise you can't call methods on them.
>
> MaterializeTemporaryExpr also contains information about the lifetime
> extension process: we needed the this-value in order to bind it to variable
> 'c'. You see that in the AST.
>
> In the analyzer, however, MaterializeTemporaryExpr does a different thing,
> as a temporary solution (no pun intended). It constructs a new temporary
> region out of thin air and binds the rvalue object to that temporary in the
> Store. The respective function in our code is called
> "createTemporaryRegionIfNeeded". It also has a separate purpose of
> converting rvalue sub-object adjustments into lvalue sub-object
> adjustments, which we wouldn't discuss this time.
>
> Now that we learned how to inline temporary constructors and destructors,
> it essentially means that the this-value in the constructor and in the
> destructor would be different. Because first we construct the object into
> temporary region R1, then we take lazyCompoundVal{R1} to represent the
> value of CXXTemporaryObjectExpr, then we materialize lazyCompoundVal{R1} to
> R2, then we bind R2 to variable 'c', then we call the automatic(!)
> destructor for 'c' which contains R2. To be clear, the region store at the
> time of destruction would be:
>
>   c: R2,
>   R2: lazyCompoundVal{R1}.
>
> It means that fields of the object would contain the correct values, there
> would be the correct number of destructors called (no temporary
> destructors, just one automatic destructor), but the identity of the object
> (this-value) would change in the process. Unless the object actually makes
> any decisions or does any manipulations that involve its this-value, the
> modeling should be correct. When the object starts to actively use its
> this-value in its inlined methods, the analysis would do wrong stuff.
> Additionally, it causes a mess in the checkers when they try to track
> objects by their this-values - i.e. IteratorChecker has a lot of additional
> code to work around the fact that the region for the object constantly
> changes.
>
> From the above it is clear that MaterializeTemporaryExpr should not
> construct any new regions, at least not in this case. We already have the
> correct region, namely R1, which should be re-used.

Hi Artem!

We found a strange false positive that might be related to what you
describe above but not sure though. Could you take a look?
It looks like we are seeing a null pointer dereference error, and the null
value comes from the destructor which was invoked on a temporary.
If this is not the case, the path diagnostic might be misleading.

Here is the finding:
http://cc.elte.hu:15010/Default/#run=Xerces_Xerces-C_3_2_1_unexplored_first&checker-name=unix.MismatchedDeallocator&checker-name=cplusplus.NewDeleteLeaks&checker-name=core.uninitialized.UndefReturn&checker-name=core.UndefinedBinaryOperatorResult&checker-name=core.NullDereference&checker-name=core.NonNullParamChecker&checker-name=core.DivideZero&checker-name=core.CallAndMessage&tab=allReports&reportHash=2f8548f84329734e674f15d844caeb38&report=6764&subtab=2f8548f84329734e674f15d844caeb38

Regards,
Gábor