[cfe-dev] JumboSupport: making unity builds easier in Clang

Kim Gräsman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 11 10:53:58 PDT 2018

See also: https://www.llvm.org/devmtg/2014-04/PDFs/Talks/Tenseconds.pdf

I started experimenting with a unity build of an LLVM/Clang-sized
proprietary project at my previous employer, and I found the basics
easy to get going. The hard part was massaging the code base to avoid
collisions, as indicated by the work by Mostyn & co.

I left the job before I had a chance to fully evaluate it, but
assuming I'd had something like `#pragma jumbo` to reduce the
friction, it might have been easier to get more data for less effort.

Mostyn/Daniel, do you have any gut feel/data on how much of the
problem a #pragma would solve? I suppose there are still constructs
that `#pragma jumbo` can't help with, that requires manual
intervention?

Also, Chromium is hardly a typical codebase, the little I've looked at
it, it's *extremely* clean and consistent, so it might be interesting
to try this on something else. Maybe LLVM itself would be an
interesting candidate.

- Kim