[cfe-dev] JumboSupport: making unity builds easier in Clang

Bruce Dawson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 10 10:42:23 PDT 2018

I think it was Churchill who said that "Jumbo builds are the worst form of
build optimization, except for all the others."

The simple reality is that Chromium has a lot of translation units and
there is a minimum (often a large minimum) cost to compiling each of these
translation units. In order to make Chromium build times closer to
reasonable we either need to dramatically reduce the number of translation
units (jumbo) or dramatically reduce the cost of compiling each of these
translation units.

Jumbo builds have some practical and philosophical problems but ultimately
they work, and they work now, and they will get even better. Speculative
efforts to reduce the per-translation-unit are, well, speculative. If and
when modules improve our build times we can assess whether they should
replace or coexist with jumbo builds, but until they are proven we need to
proceed with what works today.

Making jumbo builds more maintainable through compiler changes appears to
have an excellent cost/benefit ratio, and does nothing to stop us from
pursuing other options in parallel. We will always continue to do non-jumbo
builds, so our code will not be compromised by this effort.