[cfe-dev] Working on open projects

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 15 04:45:35 PDT 2017

Hi,

On 14 September 2017 at 16:19, Artem Dergachev <noqnoqneo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> These are analyzer projects, which improve symbolic execution-based
> bug-finding of the clang's --analyze option, but not compilation or code
> generation. At the same time, these projects require relatively little
> understanding of the analyzer's internals (compared to other projects).
>
> * The body farm project does not require much knowledge about the
> analyzer, and mostly requires knowledge of the AST. The idea of the project
> is to synthesize ASTs of functions in order to help the analyzer what they
> do, when they are not available in the current translation unit (which is a
> problem because clang only compiles, and therefore analyzes, one
> translation unit at a time). Having an AST for an external function
> automagically allows the analyzer to "inline" it during analysis; lack of
> the AST would mean that the analyzer would assume that anything can happen
> when such function is called, which reduces precision of the analysis.
>
> Body-farmed ASTs are useful for system library functions that are simple
> enough. The AST does not need to necessarily do exactly what the function
> does, because the analyzer does not model everything exactly. For example,
> any atomic operations on integers may be replaced with regular integer
> operations because the analyzer would naturally do all its symbolic
> calculations atomically. You can see what functions are already there (very
> few, i guess we only have a couple of libdispatch functions that are
> modeled to immediately call their callback; George has recently farmed a
> body for std::call_once similarly in https://reviews.llvm.org/D37840,
> which turned out to be harder than usual) and follow the example to add the
> functions you're interested in. Various compiler builtins (eg., again,
> atomics?) might make a nice addition, and as far as I remember, Devin may
> have a couple of ideas as well.
>
> There is another mechanism in the analyzer, "evalCall", that allows
> analyzer checkers to compute the effects of the function directly, without
> consulting any sort of AST. The evalCall mechanism is older and in many
> (but not all) cases more powerful, but probably overly powerful and poorly
> scales with the number of checkers, so body farms are preferred whenever
> possible.
>
> Finally, there is an effort to allow the analyzer to import stuff from
> other translation units through ASTImporter (https://reviews.llvm.org/D306
> 91); if successful, as a neat side effect this may allow us to replace
> manual AST construction in body farms with simply feeding raw source code
> to the analyzer, which might be easier.

Note that, it is possible to feed raw source code to the analyzer to be
used through body farm (there are some limitations though). This
functionality works without relying on the ASTImporter.
To see how this works there is a test case here:
https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/master/test/Analysis/model-file.cpp
One of the modelled functions can be found here:
https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/blob/master/test/Analysis/Inputs/Models/notzero.model

Regards,
Gábor