[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC] Open sourcing and contributing TAPI back to the LLVM community

Juergen Ributzka via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 8 10:17:33 PDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Davide Italiano <davide at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Juergen Ributzka via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > Hi @ll,
> >
> > Over the past years I have been looking into how to reduce the size of
> the
> > SDK that ships with Xcode and how to improve build times for the overall
> OS
> > inside Apple. The result is a tool called TAPI, which is used at Apple
> for
> > all things related to text-based dynamic library files (.tbd).
> >
> > What are text-based dynamic library files?
> > Text-based dynamic library files (TBDs) are a textual representation of
> the
> > information in a dynamic library / shared library that is required by the
> > static linker - basically a symbol list of the exported symbols.
> >
> > Appleā€™s SDKs originally used Mach-O Dynamic Library Stubs. Mach-O Dynamic
> > Library Stubs are dynamic library files, but with all the text and data
> > stripped out. TBD files were introduced to replaced Mach-O Dynamic
> Library
> > Stub files in the SDK to further reduce its overall size.
> >
> > Over time the TAPI tool has grown and is used now in a variety of ways.
> >
> > Dynamic Library Stubbing:
> > As mentioned above, TAPI is used to read the content of dynamic library /
> > shared library and generates a textual representation that can be used by
> > the static linker. The current implementation reads MachO files, but it
> > could be extended to also provide the same functionality for other object
> > file formats.
> >
> > Framework / Dynamic Library Verification:
> > The symbols that are exported from a dynamic library should ideally
> match,
> > or at least contain, all the API that is specified in the associated
> header
> > files. TAPI performs this verification by parsing the header files with
> > CLANG and compare the findings to the exported symbols from the library.
> >
> > InstallAPI:
> > InstallAPI is a new build phase that generates the TBD file from header
> > files only. This allows a dependency of the library to build concurrently
> > even before the library has been built itself. This can be used to
> increase
> > parallelism in the build or larger projects or operating systems.
> >
> > Misc:
> > - display and operate on TBD files
> > - automatically generate API tests from header files
> > - libtapi, which is used by the linker (ld64) to parse the TBD files
> >

> I'm interested in whether you plan to have this integrated in lld as well.
> As far as I understand, this is going to be the de-facto way of
> shipping for Mach-O binaries (at least, the ones released by Apple).
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, this is already the de-facto way of shipping Mach-O files in the SDK.
That means self-hosting LLD against the SDK is currently not possible. The
system itself is obviously still shipping full Mach-O files in /System, so
you should be still able to self-host against those file.

My plan is to integrate support for TBD files into all LLVM tools where it
makes sense (including LLD). This is why I wanted to start to put the basic
support into LLVM first, so it can be used by other tools and libraries.