[cfe-dev] Disallow rtti

Martin J. O'Riordan via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 24 10:48:13 PDT 2017

Darn - email lost the 'cfe-dev'

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin J. O'Riordan [mailto:MartinO at theheart.ie]
Sent: 24 October 2017 18:47
To: 'John McCall' <rjmccall at apple.com>; 'Andreas Bergmeier' <abergmeier at gmx.net>
Subject: RE: [cfe-dev] Disallow rtti

Hi Andreas,

I have not found the overhead of RTTI to be a significant burden (even for embedded with a 128KB memory size constraint), but even so I have defaulted to '-fno-rtti' just in case it is an issue for my users.  I handled this in 'AddMyTargetTargetArgs()' by looking for the last of the options '-frtti' or '-fno-rtti' (using 'getLastArg()'), and if neither was found, passing '-fno-rtti' by default to LLVM (overriding LLVM's normal defaults, but in a target specific way).

You could similarly intercept if the last argument passed was '-frtti' and emit a diagnostic to say that it is not supported, but always pass '-fno-rtti' onto LLVM.

For EH I was a lot more strict.  We do not (and cannot reasonably) support EH in the context of our embedded target, so I simply changed:

    include/c++/__config

from LibC++ to include the following check (I predefine '__mytarget__'):

    #ifdef __mytarget__
    // MYTARGET does not support exception handling
    # if (__has_feature(cxx_exceptions))
    #  error Exception handling is not supported on MYTARGET
    # endif
    #endif

This way, if the programmer uses EH they get a hard and meaningful compile time error that informs them what is going on.

You could do something similar for RTTI.

I chose to use '__config' because only the most trivial/contrived programs do not include at least one C++ header, and '__config' is included by them all ;-)

It is worth noting that LibC++ states that while it supports programs using LibC++ without RTTI, it does not support building LibC++ with RTTI disabled, so you would probably have to qualify your RTTI feature check with a test to see if '_LIBCPP_BUILDING_LIBRARY' is defined or not.

All the best,

	MartinO