[cfe-dev] [RFC] Attribute that can be used to instruct clang to pass and return non-trivial structs directly

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 15 19:45:23 PST 2017

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 11:56 AM Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 15 November 2017 at 11:34, John McCall via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 15, 2017, at 11:13 AM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM John McCall via cfe-dev <
>> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think we'd thought about documenting this (additionally) in
>>> terms of precise edits to the standard, but that's not a bad idea.
>>>

>> Wasn't there a Clang policy about language extensions that required they
>> be at least proposed for standardization? (I can't seem to find that
>> anymore, but I think Doug proposed it/wrote it up at some point)
>>
>> Maybe attributes don't fall under this policy? Not sure.
>>

>> That's a very good question.  I remember us talking about that, but I
>> don't think it ever turned into a firm policy.
>>

> It's in a somewhat non-obvious place on the website:
> http://clang.llvm.org/get_involved.html

Ah, thanks! I kept getting search results listing that page & figured it
was a false positive... I should've looked more closely.

Sounds like (4) is the only sticky one - and I guess this would be partly
the C++ standards committee and the Itanium ABI group. (perhaps this is
worth a discussion/proposal on the latter - to avoid anything like the
abi_tag difficulties (which I only have a vague sense of)?)

Mostly I'm just want to make sure we hold ourselves to a similar standard
than we expect from everyone else - rather than using the rules as a way to
keep people out while not necessarily meeting the same bar ourselves. &
this seems like a good chance to reflect on the rules, see if they do/still
fit, etc. Sounds like they mostly do.

Don't mean to bog anything down in bureaucracy or anything.

- Dave