[cfe-dev] about the "Attempt to fix stdint/cstdint modules try 2" commit

Eric Fiselier via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 24 20:58:56 PDT 2017

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 2:33 PM, René J.V. Bertin via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about the commit that should help prevent errors
> building boost headerfiles (https://github.com/llvm-mirror/libcxx/commit/
> 6010dc84c66ee4b30b4ffea34b0d1c616d04239b#commitcomment-22132510).
>
> I'm seeing the issue reported in http://stackoverflow.com/
> questions/41050942/clang-modules-interaction-with-std-
> iterator-and-boost-move-iterator-hpp , but (and this may be a bit
> delicate) I'm seeing it with a gcc 6.3 build I'm adapting (ok, tweaking) to
> use libc++ and the corresponding headers, on Mac OS X 10.9 .

Just to be clear, You're attempting to build GCC 6.3 using Clang, and
you've hacked up the GCC build so that it always uses libc++ instead of
libstdc++?
AFAIK the GCC build doesn't use Boost, so IDK how Boost is getting into the
mix.

If you meant that you're building something else (which uses Boost) using
GCC 6.3, that also doesn't make sense because GCC doesn't support Clang
Modules.

> If I understand the fix correctly, it addresses an issue that isn't in the
> system libc++ on that OS version, so how come I'm seeing it?

I would assume the issue *would* be present in the OS X's system libc++
installation, (assuming the system installation hasn't been updated to
include the fix, which it likely hasn't)

> Should I not build g++ using the clang 4.0 C++ headers for now, or maybe
> make that tweak runtime-only and deactivate it while building g++ itself?

Why are you forcing GCC to build against libc++ in the first place? What's
the benefit? Doesn't the build default to bootstrapping and using a
bootstrapped libstdc++?