[cfe-dev] Separate preprocess and compile: hack or feature?

Boris Kolpackov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 11 02:05:43 PDT 2017

Hi,

In the build system I am working on we are looking at always performing
the preprocessing and then C/C++ compilation as two separate clang/clang++
invocations. The main reason is support for distributed compilation but
see here[1] for other reasons.

I realize that tools like ccache/distcc have been relying on this for
a while (though see the 'direct' mode in ccache and 'pump' in distcc).
However, some compilers apparently do not support this (for example,
VC; see the above link for details).

So I wonder, in the context of Clang, if this is just a hack that
happens to work "for now" or if this is a feature that is expected
to continue to work?

Also, has anyone seen/heard of any real-world issues with compiling
preprocessed source code?

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/6abi99/rfc_issues_with_separate_preprocess_and_compile/

Thanks,
Boris