[cfe-dev] [clang-tidy] C++11/14/17 specific checkers on C++98 portable code

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 1 06:57:21 PDT 2017

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all thanks for working on this powerfull tool.
>
> This is my first mail on this mailing list, so please, sorry if the subject
> has already been discussed. Any pointer will be welcome.
>
> Is there a bug/feature request tracker for clang-tidy?

There is a tracker on bugzilla for it. It's under the
clang-tools-extra umbrella.

> A specific mailing list for users?

No, we just use cfe-dev and cfe-commits.

> I have just started to use clang-tidy.
>
> I have code that must work in C++ 98 even if it is used on programs compiled
> in C++14. Sometimes the same file contains some conditional flags using
> __cplusplus or other defines.
>
> I would like to avoid any C++11/14/17 specific check on this portable code.
>
> For the time being I do 2 runs one with C++98 and other with C++11/14/17.
>
> I would like to filter out the C++98 portable code on the second run.
>
> I see that there are two parameters to filter files and filter lines,
> however it suspect that it should be hard to do this mapping.
>
> I guess that I'm not the only one with this problem. What others do in this
> case?

I'm not certain I've heard of this case coming up before, truth be
told. We write the checks so that they do not run against language
standards that do not support the construct (for instance, no checks
involving lambdas unless you are compiling in c++11 or later), but I
don't believe that will help your scenario out because we don't
otherwise mark the tests as being specific to some language standard
(so you can't filter out the tests other than manually).

~Aaron