[cfe-dev] -fdenormal-fp-math

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 16 10:40:51 PDT 2017

On 03/16/2017 11:35 AM, Evandro Menezes wrote:
> Hi, Hal.
>
> For the benefit of all, on foil 14 in this presentation by Intel,
> https://is.gd/7Ptgwx, the issues of underflow and denormals in IEEE754
> are explained.
>
> Here's what I found out in GCC:
>
> On {aarch64,alpha,arm,i386,ia64,mips,sparc}, when
> {-Ofast,-ffast-math,-funsafe-math-optimizations} is specified, the
> file crtfastmath.o is added to the link line.
>
> crtfastmath.c contains a static function with the attribute
> "constructor" that sets the appropriate flag in a control register to
> round denormals to zero.  Some targets set other bits too (like Alpha
> and i386, also to round underflows to zero, and MIPS, also to disable
> exceptions).
>
> Sun's SPARC compiler also flushes underflows and denormals to zero
> when the option {-fast,-fnonstd,-fns} is specified.  The reason given
> (v. https://is.gd/6jxW97) is also performance degradation.
>
> Since clang has a specific flag to guide the behavior of denormals,
> -fdenormal-fp-math, it could be used to make sure that the FPU is set
> to the same specified behavior: {ieee,preserve-sign,positive-zero}.

I don't know if we can use ctrfastmath.o for this, independent of
-ffast-math, essentially because we have no control over what else it
might do, but I can certainly see shipping (e.g. as part of compiler-rt)
some similar files that specifically deal with denormals.

  -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility