[cfe-dev] Setting default dialect to C++11

Robinson, Paul via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 3 16:04:36 PST 2017

Richard Smith asked:
Would raising the language standard to C++14 cause problems for PS4 or MSVC? Is the constraint there "at least C++11" (because, say, the system headers are written in C++11) or "exactly C++11" (and if so, why?)?

A default dialect for a particular platform is not solely dependent on the toolchain; the platform must support the appropriate standard headers and libraries.  I have not investigated whether we have (or plan to have) what's needed for 14 or 17, although I can ask.  (Seems to me I've done this before but I can't find a record of it.)  Note that we do not use either libcxx or libstdc++.
--paulr