[cfe-dev] Unions in the Clang Static Analyzer

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 2 09:12:12 PST 2017

Hello,

I'm not aware of any unfinished work on union support. I'd gladly give a
few hints.

RegionStore itself already operates in a union-friendly manner: even
though it presents itself as a MemRegion->SVal map, internally it only
stores base regions and byte offsets as keys, regardless of how the
bytes stored are interpreted.

However, i suspect bigger problems with actually representing symbolic
values for fields that are interpreted in multiple ways during the
analysis. First of all, reinterpret-casts of basic types are in general
modeled poorly. For example, cast from pointer to integer is represented
as a special LocAsInteger SVal sub-class, support for which in
SValBuilder is worse than for symbols; at the same time cast from
integer to pointer is not represented at all, as i mentioned recently in
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2017-February/052769.html .

Then, unions are even more fun because they challenge the concept of
SymbolRegionValue, which is a very basic thing. Consider an example:

   union U { intptr_t x; void *p; }

   void foo(union U u) {
     intptr_t X = u.x; // reg_$0<u.x>
     void *P = u.p; // &SymRegion{reg_$1<u.p>}
     if (X == P) { ... }
   }

The symbolic values for X and P look completely different, the worst
thing here probably being that X is NonLoc while P is Loc. Yet, they
represent the same thing. How would we unify these values? If you come
up with a single symbol to represent them, what would be the type of
that symbol? Or would you prefer to constrain these symbols to be equal,
and rely on the constraint solver to figure things out?

So making a proper union support is going to be a fun research project.
Smaller incremental improvements that fix particular cases you encounter
are also very much welcome. There's not necessarily much thought behind
the safety-first bail-outs, so if you are seeing significant
improvements by removing them, we could consider lifting them; it may
also turn out that they're necessary, and an experienced eye may
sometimes understand why, but as long as there is no comprehensive
explanation in comments and no testcase coverage, i'd rather encourage
you to remove them and see what happens; especially considering that
you've got access to a good codebase to test these changes upon.