[cfe-dev] Just a quick heads up -- removing BBVectorize from LLVM (and Clang)

C Bergström via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 30 19:01:13 PDT 2017

I don't know how others feel, but it seems this was removed more by feeling
and less by actual data points. It doesn't mean it wasn't the correct
choice, but just because nobody spoke up could mean that they silently
enjoy the benefits and maybe some end user far away isn't subscribed. With
this in mind - I hope others would consider turning optimizations into an
Assert, Warning or Error if they will be removed - at least for a release.
That way there's some visible warning that users had a chance to see and
potentially relay the feedback. The middle ground could be disabling the
transformation and just warning on the analysis pass. "Foo optimization has
been removed and it may impact your code performance"...

Too much work?