[cfe-dev] [RFC] Adding LibTooling to Clang binary as a dependency

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 26 07:35:45 PDT 2017

Dear cfe-dev,

It looks like there is a general interest in the community to have support
for writing tools that have cross translation capabilities unit based on
Clang.

The Static Analyzer community is working towards adding cross translation
unit analysis support for the Analyzer (https://reviews.llvm.org/D30691).
Some of the changes are independent of the Analyzer and could be reused in
any tools that required cross-TU capabilities (
https://reviews.llvm.org/D34512).

For this reason, we considered adding this functionality to the LibTooling
component. However, this would also introduce LibTooling as a dependency of
the Clang binary, since the Static Analyzer is the part of Clang.

I run some quick benchmarks about the binary size (using static linking on
Linux).

Release: 85457072 -> 85505864
Debug: 1777932672 -> 1779938696

The increase is about 0,1% in the worst case. This can also mean slightly
increased link times and the clang binary needs to be recompiled when there
is a tooling related change.

The question is, is it ok for the community to have this dependency or
should we introduce a new component instead of putting this functionality
in LibTooling?

Regards,
Gábor