[cfe-dev] 2017 US LLVM Developers' Meeting - Registration Opening!

Arnaud Allard de Grandmaison via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 23 14:24:47 PDT 2017

I think there is no one-size-fits-all conference format. It's a fact
attendees have different backgrounds or interests (academic, industry,
hobby, ...) and different philosophees as well.

Having different LLVM conferences addressing different tradeoffs is a
richness. They are all located at different positions in a wide spectrum. I
enjoy the US conference, the EuroLLVM and FOSDEM, but each one for
different reasons.

The price charged is reasonnable compared to a number of other conferences
in our fields (what's the fee for cppcon or cgo ?), and to bounce on
David's comment, I can remember some FOSDEM editions where we had to queue
under the rain to get some bad food and have no seat available in the talk
room. I however consider myself lucky because some people could not even
enter the room ! And it also happened that video recording did not work (in
2016 for the LLVM dev room for example)... This never happened at a US or
Euro LLVM.

> It's worth observing that EuroLLVM's distinctly worst recent attendance
was at Barcelona, using a commercial space and co-located with CGO rather
than standalone at a university.

As a EuroLLVM organizer, I believe the poor attendance in Barcelona was due
to a number of factors others than those you name : there was a conflict
with a game developers' conference and we were lacking a strong local
community --- unlike all the other editions. Hosting the conference at a
university (in Barcelona) would not have changed anything regarding the
attendance. Colocating with CGO was an experiment worth trying though in my
opinion.

Cheers,
--
Arnaud