[cfe-dev] how to do C++ Instrumentation with Clang?

Yonggang Chen via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 22 20:55:29 PDT 2017

Hello all,

I have a large project which consists of several millions of C++ code. Now I
want to add a log function to each line of code. If do it manually, it's
almost impossible.

Suppose my original code is like this:

void snapshot_handler::mouseMoveEvent(IDocView* pDocView, QMouseEvent *
event)

{

    pDocView->getViewPortWidget()->setCursor(Qt::CrossCursor);

    m_ptEnd = event->pos();

    pDocView->updateView();

}

I want to log each line of code and the function:

void snapshot_handler::mouseMoveEvent(IDocView* pDocView, QMouseEvent *
event)

{

    Log << "mouseMoveEvent;

    Log << pDocView->getViewPortWidget()->setCursor(Qt::CrossCursor);

    Log << m_ptEnd = event->pos();

    Log << pDocView->updateView();

    Log << "elapsed time in seconds";

}

Can Clang support doing this? If so, how can achieve such requirements?

Best regards

Yonggang Chen