[cfe-dev] 2017 US LLVM Developers' Meeting - Registration Opening!

Joerg Sonnenberger via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 20 05:57:11 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 12:05:41AM -0700, Tanya Lattner via cfe-dev wrote:
> I would never rule this out, but we have a very large number of
> developers in the bay area that attend this event. Given the statistics,
> I do think moving to the east coast would drop our attendance.

I'll ignore the rest of the mail, but this point deserves a bit more
attention. Coming from the background of EuroBSDCon which moves every
year, I certainly see a strong fluctuation in the attendee number. At
the same time, beyond a certain core set of attendees, this has the very
important aspect of adding fresh blood. The only reason I attended
EuroLLVM this year was the "local" aspect of having to go to the other
end of Germany. I wouldn't be surprised if similar thoughts apply to
many non-SFBA LLVM users and developers. In short: a smaller meeting is
not bad by itself, if it means people attend that would otherwise not
go.

Joerg