[cfe-dev] [RFC] Adding refactoring support to Clang

Alex Lorenz via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 16 11:03:31 PDT 2017

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 4:38 AM, Eric Liu <ioeric at google.com> wrote:
>
> (+Manuel +Alex K.)
>
> Hi Alex, thanks for the proposal! This sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to the new engine!
>
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 1:57 AM Alex Lorenz via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> This is a proposal for a new Clang-based refactoring engine (as indicated by Duncan last week [1]). The new refactoring engine should be based on both the existing code from llvm.org <http://llvm.org/> and the code that I've just committed to github.com/apple/swift-clang <http://github.com/apple/swift-clang> [2] (Please note that it has some outdated designs and APIs that I'd like to replace). This email is split into three different sections:
> - The first section lists the refactoring actions supported by Xcode 9.
> - The second section describes the actual proposal.
> - The third section outlines an action plan that I would like to follow when submitting patches for the new refactoring engine.
>
> I'm looking forward to any feedback that you might have!
>
> It seems that the code you committed to the swift-clang repo is using some home-grown refactoring infrastructure like RefactoringReplacement [e1]. Do you plan to switch to use the existing tooling infrastructure in clang (e.g. clang::tooling::Replacement) in the future?

Yes, I would like to switch to something like `tooling::Replacement`, as we shouldn’t have two different structures that do the same thing in the code at llvm.org. I didn’t use it in Xcode 9 because it stores the source range using the decomposed form (filename + offsets), so I found it easier to just use another structure that stored `SourceRange`s directly. I also had to attach additional information to some replacements (e.g. the range of the newly introduced name in the replacements for “extract”).

Btw, our implementation of rename actually doesn’t use replacements, but just source ranges, as Xcode doesn't actually know the new name when its gathering the source ranges for the renamed symbols. I think that we shouldn’t use `tooling::Replacement` directly for the implementation of rename. Instead we should gather occurrences (source range + kind) first. Then we can have an additional layer that maps those occurrences to  the set of `tooling::Replacement`s.

> Just to let you know that we also have some plans to improve clang's tooling infrastructure (both clang tooling and refactoring-specific). For example, the new AtomicChange [e2] for better representation of refactoring changes and an ongoing redesign of ClangTool interface [e3] to ease multi-TU/codebase-wide refactoring. I hope our work can converge in the future :)

That’s awesome! I think that it should be possible for us to converge. I’ll try to think about this when working on the patches.