[cfe-dev] RFC: ODR checker for Clang and LLD

Peter Collingbourne via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 13 20:43:08 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 7:54 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 6:34 PM Peter Collingbourne via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 11:28 PM, Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Oh right, good point, using a 64-bit hash does seem like a good idea
>>> here.

>>> I will measure it.
>>>

>> For that unit_tests binary I measured the overhead at about 5 seconds
>> (average of 10 runs). That is with debug info, of course.
>>
>> W.r.t. LLD and having it always on by default (and hence making it as

>>> That may be possible with some work in the string table builder. But at
>>> that point of course we're not dealing with regular symbols any more. I
>>> guess we could have two ODR tables per object file: an array of (ODR hash,
>>> location) tuples for ODR names that correspond to symbol table symbols
>>> (i.e. Rui's proposal on the chromium bug), and an array of (ODR name, ODR
>>> hash, location) tuples for all other ODR names. I guess if we wanted a "low
>>> overhead" mode we could just omit the second table or put fewer symbols in
>>> it.
>>>
>>> With debug info surely there is some sort of string representing the
>>>>

>>> Not the record name on its own (they do appear but a bit awkwardly --
>>> each namespace component is stored in a separate string), but if the record
>>> has at least one member function the mangled type name will appear
>>> somewhere in .debug_str, so we could in principle reuse that with the
>>> offset/length trick.
>>>
>>> I guess we may have to have our "low-overhead" user-facing behavior be a

>>> I think that would be my rough assessment as well. I think we have a
>>> good shot at 1 for all cases with some of the ideas that have been
>>> mentioned already. If we can avoid creating dependencies on DWARF I think
>>> that would be ideal -- I'd ideally like this to work for COFF as well,
>>> where you'd typically expect to find CodeView in object files. If I were to
>>> try this I think the first thing that I would try is hash/compression
>>> combined with the two ODR tables (no reuse for non-symbol ODR names to
>>> start with, as compression may be enough on its own).
>>>

>> I developed a second prototype which uses hash/compression with no
>> attempt to reuse. It is available here: https://github.com/pcc/
>> llvm-project/tree/odr-checker2
>>
>> For Chromium the object file size overhead was 536566007 bytes, or in
>> relative terms about 25%, or about 4% with debug info. I measured perf
>> overhead for unit_tests at about 6%, but after I moved the checker onto
>> another thread, the overhead disappeared into the noise.
>>

> Still seems like quite a big increase.
>
> Any chance of compression?

That was with compression -- the implementation compresses the parts of the
ODR table that aren't hashes (aside from the header and the Clang version,
which is a small fixed cost), as well as the string table. The hashes were
left uncompressed because they are in the critical path of the linker and
because I imagine that they wouldn't really be that compressible.

So I think the remaining gains would either be through limiting the number
of ODR table entries, or through reuse of data.

Limiting might be something to explore -- one possibility is that we could
limit the ODR table entries to the declarations that are "used" by a
particular translation unit (it appears that Clang tracks something like
that in Decl::Used/Decl::Referenced, but I'm not sure if that is exactly
what we need -- I think we would basically need to test for reference
reachability from the functions/globals that are IRgen'd).

In terms of reuse, it seems that of the 536566007 bytes of
overhead, 319309579 were the compressed part of the ODR tables. So even if
we achieved 100% sharing, with the current scheme I think that our minimum
achievable overhead would be ~15% (no debug info) or ~2% (with debug info).

> Could this go into .dwo files with Fission and be checked by dwp instead,
> perhaps?

I think it could also work that way, yes.

I'm reasonably happy with these figures, at least for a first
>> implementation. We may be able to do even better for file size with reuse,
>> but I'd leave that for version 2.
>>

> What's the story with compatibility between versions, then? Is there a
> version header?

Yes, the header contains a version number.

> Will old formats be supported by lld indefinitely? Not at all?

I think we should drop support for old formats when we introduce a new
format. My understanding is that the ODR hash can change whenever Clang
changes (the implementation only performs ODR checking if all ODR tables
were produced by the same revision of Clang), so there wouldn't seem to be
a huge benefit in keeping support for old formats around.

Peter

> - Dave
>

>> Peter
>>

>>> Peter