[cfe-dev] [OT?] real-world interest of the polly optimiser

Krzysztof Parzyszek via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 1 12:52:05 PDT 2017

On 5/22/2017 9:17 AM, C Bergström via cfe-dev wrote:
> You statement just came across as something like either llvm's loop
> optimizer sucks so bad that polly is required

In applications like linear algebra a lot of performance comes from
optimizing loop nests for cache locality. Doing things like loop
interchange, loop nest distribution, unroll and jam, etc. helps a lot
with it, and to the best of my knowledge LLVM does none of that. There
is some basic support for loop fusion and distribution, but I don't
think it works on the nest level. Given how important that is in
high-performance computing, the 20x difference sounds believable.

I don't know what the general plan is: if there is any interest in loop
nest optimizations in the LLVM itself, or whether this task is delegated
to Polly to handle at some point. In any case, without those
optimizations there is only so much that can be done.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation