[cfe-dev] Breaking change for libc++ incoming (Minor, C++17 only)

Marshall Clow via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 27 10:32:54 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Ben Craig <ben.craig at ni.com> wrote:

> Will libc++ make any policy changes regarding implementations of
> unreleased standards as a result of this?

The only policy change I can think of for this is a reminder that things in
unreleased standards are subject to change.  Maybe put that on
http://libcxx.llvm.org/cxx1z_status.html (and now
http://libcxx.llvm.org/cxx2a_status.html)

> Perhaps all future-standard work should go in an experimental namespace,
> or be hidden behind an ifdef of some sort?

These were already behind an #ifdef - you had to use -std=c++1z to get them.

>  Or is the occasional break like this considered acceptable in the long
> term, so long as the breaking feature hasn’t received large adoption?

In general, I'd like to avoid all breaking changes.

But I'm also uninterested in supporting things that were in a draft
standard and then removed/changed before the standard became final.

The other alternative is to delay implementing things in libc++ until the
standard is ratified.

-- Marshall