[cfe-dev] clang crashes when running in VM

George Burgess IV via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 26 11:34:15 PDT 2017

> I guess it might be due to parallel linking, the memory usage would skyrocket?

Yup, that would do it. :)

> Is there a graceful way to avoid this?

If your project uses CMake, you might be able to have it generate
files for `ninja` instead of Makefiles. Ninja has job pools just for
cases like this: https://ninja-build.org/manual.html#ref_pool (and
I've heard many LLVM devs talk about how using `ninja` instead of
`make` made incremental rebuilds of LLVM/clang faster for them, so...)

If you're stuck with Makefiles, though, I don't know of a great way to
limit to N parallel link jobs. If you don't mind linking being 100%
serial, you may find the (nonstandard, apparently) .NOTPARALLEL
target useful.

Good luck!
George