[cfe-dev] contributing to clang-analyzer

Piotr Padlewski via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 15 11:48:13 PST 2017

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am student and I am interested in contributing to clang-analyzer, just
> curious how to get started.

I would suggest to firstly look at clang-tidy. It is very simple to start
and it will make you more familiar with clang's AST
and you can also write some useful checks very fast.

> I saw the list of open projects and all of them are interesting. It will
> be great if any one could guide me.
> One more thing, I am not sure how would I compile clang-analyzer
> I tried compiling everything with `make` then tried `make clang` but it
> took ages and never finished, more over it ate up all of my 8 GB ram and
> computer gets freezed.
>
> Compile with
- clang
- gold linker (ld.gold)
- Release build type

With this configuration I compile llvm and clang with -j32 having only 16GB
of ram.
On 2 core machine it should not take more than 2h (usually arround 1h)
You should get *scan-build* binary. I am not sure if you need any other
binary than clang and scan-build
to run static analyzer

> Help with how to get clang-analyzer compiled and how to start
> contributing will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Anna (cc), some good tips about contributing to static analyzer?

Piotr