[cfe-dev] "File too big/too many sections" when building Registry.cpp in MSYS2 Environment

William D. Jones via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 1 17:32:50 PST 2017

Did you cross-compile for MinGW? I've noticed that with the new change,
native compile, Registry.cpp now compiles, but attempting to link
bin\clangDynamicASTMatchers.dll causes a link step that takes over 90
minutes (!!) before bombing with an excessive number of undefined symbols.
So many, that I cannot even copy and paste them all from my scrollback. The
linker cannot find any of the symbols from Registry.cpp.

It is dawning on me that building a Debug build of Clang/LLVM on Windows is
impractical/development seems to mainly be done w/ gold on Linux to avoid
linker woes.