[cfe-dev] [Openmp-dev] [6.0.0 Release] Scheduling the release

Hans Wennborg via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 15 10:06:48 PST 2017

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I don't have really strong objections, but I'm honestly not a fan. The
> reason is mostly that I think it is very late to make the change and likely
> to mean most people are on holiday when the branch occurs. I somewhat
> anticipate significantly more cherrypicks as a consequence. I'd love for
> Apple's releases to by sync'd with the open source ones, but I don't
> understand why one week earlier is so critical. That said, I generally defer
> to those who are working more heavily on the open source releases.

Thanks for your input. I'm not too worried given that the idea is to
start slowly and ramp up testing with RC1 which will happen around the
time it normally would. Let's see how it goes.

> The one thing I have a stronger opinion about is the idea of a "feature
> freeze", stabilization period, or other change. I'm pretty strongly opposed
> to this. One of the things that I most appreciate about the LLVM community
> and process is that the top-of-tree is always open, always active, and
> always kept green.

I agree. Releases should happen on a branch and not obstruct
development on trunk (besides the common courtesy of not landing
majorly disruptive changes righ before the branch as you mentioned
below). I'm not suggesting any changes here.