[cfe-dev] [analyzer][RFC] Design idea: separate modelling from checking

Aleksei Sidorin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 15 06:23:54 PST 2017

It seems like it is the analyzer RFC week so I'll contribute a bit. :)

TL;DR: I think we may need to split up checkers from execution modeling
in order to resolve unclear dependencies between checkers, improve
checker development process and resolve some non-trivial issues. There
is no any proof-of-concept implementation, just some thoughts I (and our
team) wish to summarize and to describe the issue. Feel free to share
your opinion or correct me if I made wrong assumptions or wrong conclusions.

0. Pre-history.
There were some thoughts on this topic shared personally during
meetings. I and Artem Dergachev agreed on the fact that checker
capabilities to do everything that make implementation of some common
approaches to simplify the checker API much harder; unfortunately, I
don't know if any decision about this was made on latest LLVM devmeeting
because its results were not shared.

                       1. Problem

Now, many checkers perform modelling of events interesting for them
(most of these events are function calls). They may bind a return value
to the expression, perform Store binding, and split states with
generating multiple nodes. This approach has some pros:
1. If a checker is disabled, modelling is not performed. So, we save
some computation time.
2. It may look like kind of encapsulation for modelling operations.

However, I think this approach has several disadvantages.

1. It introduces dependencies between checkers. If we need to ensure
that return value of malloc() is null or not in our checker, we need to
turn on MallocChecker and:
   1) keep its traits in ProgramState (memory consumption);
   2) suffer from its checking operations that consume time without any
reason for us;
   3) watch its warnings that are not useful for our checker.

The story with GenericTaint checker (which is strongly needed for many
security checks) is even more painful: in addition to this, we also need
to keep separate functions directly in ProgramState to access taint
information.

The requirement to always enable 'core' checkers was a some kind of
warning bell because it exposes the problem directly to users. This
requirement may be non-evident for analyzer users that may need even to
silence 'core' warnings. There may also be modelers appearing later that
are not in 'core' so this mandatory list will only grow. And, finally,
the main problem is that switching off 'core' can lead to assertion
failures which are definitely not the best way to inform user about need
to enable these checkers.

Another result of this is having checkers that don't throw warnings at
all. Such checkers as core.NoReturn and core.LibraryFunctions are
strongly required to use because they greatly improve analysis quality
but actually, they don't check anything.

2. Result ExplodedGraph depends on checker execution order. For example,
if a checker splits state into two with adding transitions, another
checker will be launched twice if it is executed after the splitter but
only once if it is executed before. The state splitting itself is a very
sharp tool that we may need to hide from novice users as it doubles
branch analysis time, but that's another story. The problem is that
checker can meet different constraints on the same code depending not
only on checkers enabled or disabled but even on their order so even
testing of such dependencies becomes much harder. Such interaction may
potentially result in lost warnings or false positives.

Checkers can also write to same Environment or Store entries erasing
each other's data. That kind of interaction is usually easy to debug but
is still an issue we may wish to avoid: testing checker sets is much
harder than testing a single checker due to lots of combinations.

3. What is more (maybe, even the most) important is that as the result
of (2) we may have non-consistent checker warnings if some checkers are
enabled or disabled. If analysis of some large function is terminated by
max-nodes limit, the reachability of different nodes depends on state
splitting. So, a warning may appear if a checker is the only enabled,
but it may disappear if there are more checkers that split state --- we
may just don't get to the point where a warning occurs. Such
inconsistency may become a problem both for developers and for warning
tracking systems.

4. This approach forces developers to do a work that, ideally, should be
done by analyzer engine, in the checker. So, the results are not shared
with other checkers or are shared in some non-trivial way (see
GenericTaint example).

                       2. Possible approaches

While dependencies and broken encapsulation are something we can
potentially deal with, non-consistency needs some more than just testing
and verification. And currently I don't see the approach other that
forbidding checkers to perform modeling operations.

As I understand, to achieve consistency, checkers should always get same
ExplodedGraph independently on checkers enabled or disabled. The only
way to do it is to build ExplodedGraph without interactions with
checkers. So, we should run modelers independently and then use their
results in checkers. Checkers are only permitted to read from
Environment/Store and to operate with GDM.

There are several options.

1. Extract all modellers and launch them before checker run.

    The problem here is how to select the modellers we need to run.
    1) We can launch them all. So, the graph will be bigger. But it will
always be the same, independently on how many checkers are running. So,
there is no any inconsistency. Another advantage is that all statements
that depend on checker modelling are modelled correctly: for example,
the return result of 'malloc()' will be in HeapSpace independently on
memory checks enabled/disabled.
    2) Launch only modellers that are required for checkers mentioned in
command line. This will keep resources but inconsistency will still be a
problem here.

The problem here is when should we launch modellers. Usually, we have
three evaluation phases: PreStmt (checkers), modelling by engine and
PostStmt. And it is not evident for me which phase is suitable for this.
For example, core.CallAndMessage checker can generate sink nodes on
PreStmt and if it is disabled, analyzer engine can crash. Some modellers
need to constraint the return value and need to be launched after engine
finished the modelling.

2. Silence the checkers that are used as dependencies of other checkers
and not mentioned in the run line. So, 'core' is always launched
mandatory but is just silenced if the user doesn't want to see warnings.
This seems to be the easiest way; however, it doesn't solve the problem
with inconsistent warnings. The only way to get consistent ExplodedGraph
here is to launch all checkers and then silence disabled ones.

3. Move the modelling into the ExprEngine. So, ExprEngine will generate
events that other checkers can subscribe on. This is mostly OK but some
problems are also present: they are lack of incapsulation and ExprEngine
growth. There is still a problem with plugins: to modify modelling,
developer has to re-compile the analyzer or... write a checker.

Personally, I prefer option 1.1. Initially, it can even be implemented
with existing checker interface. What we should do here is to strictly
specify the order in which modellers run in order to avoid problems with
unexpected interactions.

However, there can be options and problems I did not consider. Does
somebody have any opinion on this? It will also be cool if somebody will
share the result of latest LLVM devmeeting: as I remember, there should
have been a BoF about checkers API.

--
Best regards,
Aleksei Sidorin,