[cfe-dev] [RFC] Setting dereferenceable flag on the implicit this parameter for non-static member functions

Martin J. O'Riordan via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 6 11:32:15 PST 2017

I think that the key concept goes all the way back to the original C++ Standard (C++98), where section 5.2.2 “Function Call” states:

The first expression in the postfix expression is then called the object expression, and the call

is as a member of the object pointed to or referred to. In the case of an implicit class member access, the

implied object is the one pointed to by this. [Note: a member function call of the form f() is interpreted

as (*this).f() (see 9.3.1). ]

A NULL pointer does not point to an object, so two things make a NULL ‘this’ invalid - first the object expression does not refer to an object and is thus undefined; and second, the note which clarifies that it is equivalent to ‘(*this).’ means that if ‘this’ is NULL, then it is a NULL pointer dereference which is already undefined behaviour elsewhere in the Standard.  I can’t remember if “notes” are normative.

In “very old C++”, i.e. prior to the introduction of static member functions (circa 1987), the following idiom was not unusual to get the semantic intent of a static member provide that ‘this’ was neither implicitly nor explicitly used:

class T {

public:

  void wishIwasStatic();

};

((T*)0)->wishIwasStatic();

Such functions had access to all object of type ‘T’, but without the need for ‘friend’ declarations.  But this was only a stop-gap until the introduction of static member functions was devised.

I very much doubt that pre-C++98 code such as this is still part of any production application, and if it is, it really ought to be rewritten.

Making ‘this’ not de-referenceable seems to me to be a really good idea semantically, and if it yields performance advantages too, then this is a really good thing.  Perhaps it might be a good idea to ping either Bjarne Stroustrup or the C++ Standards committee to be sure - though I expect many of the committee’s members are also participants in this forum.

            MartinO