[cfe-dev] Will libclang ever be able to step through classes defined by template instantiations?

Wills, Samuel - US via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 6 08:35:49 PST 2017

Hello,

About three weeks ago, I posted a question to the Clang developers. So far, I have not gotten a response from any Clang developers, and I still have no answer to my question. My plan is to continue to post this question to the boards every two weeks, until I get a response from a developer. (The response does not have to answer my question, it just has to let me know that you have seen it and will try to let me know of an answer in a certain amount of time.) If there is a better or more appropriate way to get a response than reposting the question every two weeks, please let me know.

In short, my question is:

Are there any plans to allow libclang to step through classes defined by template instantiations in the future? (Please take a look at my original post below for details.)

Here is my original post:

Hello,

I have been working on a project for my company over the last few months that uses libclang. Over the last couple of months, I have been working to get information about classes created by template instantiations in our programs. Unfortunately, libclang skips classes defined by template instantiations in its walk of the AST. I know that Clang has other functions that are able to step through template instantiations (such as RecursiveASTVisitor), but those functions are considered unstable. My company wants something stable, which libclang is. I am currently working on a workaround that will solve most of our problems, but will not solve all of them. Are there any plans to allow libclang to step through classes defined by template instantiations in the future? At that point, I could rewrite the code of our company's tool to do everything that we want it to do.

This is my first time posting to this email list. Also, this is my first year at a programming job, so I am somewhat new to this industry.

Thank you very much!

Samuel Wills"