[cfe-dev] Clang Static Analyzer (different.ConversionToBool check)

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Dec 3 14:30:31 PST 2017

Hello,

I asked to share the details because i suspected that you might be
trying to implement an "all-paths" check, which is not a good idea.

Consider:

   char *str = nullptr;
   if (coin)
     str = "abc";
   bool b = str;

On this example there exists a path (on which the coin is, say, 1) on
which "abc" is converted to a boolean. However, the code is valid, and
the checker should not flag it, because there exists another path (coin
is 0) on which str is null, and the conversion is therefore non-trivial.

The analyzer's path-sensitive engine is a great tool for finding
singular paths on which certain events occur, however it is bad at
finding situations when a property (invariant) holds on all paths. Even
if you try to enumerate all paths traversed by the analyzer, the
analyzer simply does not always explore all paths.

There's no nice'n'easy tool in the analyzer to easily solve all-paths
problems, you'd have to write the whole data flow analysis yourself if
you want this to work (eg. DeadStores checker is made this way).