[cfe-dev] [analyzer] C++ and inlining.

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Dec 3 14:16:50 PST 2017

In this particular example this happens because we may potentially have
the constructor of D defined as

D::D() {
   bool *haveXptr = ((void *)this) - (offsetof(C, d) - offsetof(C, x));
   *haveXptr = !*haveXptr;
}

which is valid code that changes haveX between initialization and
assignment.

However, an external function is unlikely to contain the 'this' pointer
(pointer to variable 'c'). At least in your code generation example,
where 'c' is a local variable and the pointer to it never escapes to the
global scope.

Generally, in the analyzer when we don't know if something can happen,
we often prefer to assume the worst, much like in codegen. In this
particular example i'd be for toning down the invalidation (as in
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2017-November/056103.html), but
there may be more reasons for invalidating stuff, some of which sound
much more convincing.