[cfe-dev] Using Clang 5.0.0 RC2 with MSVC dev builds

Stephan T. Lavavej via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 16 20:15:58 PDT 2017

[don hinton]
> Don't these scripts set a bunch of environment variables, e.g., PATH, TMP, INCLUDE, LIB, and LIBPATH as well as LINK?

They set PATH, INCLUDE, LIB, and LIBPATH (that's one for some #using metadata thing). TMP is unaffected. LINK is not set. (I am not an expert here, but I just checked an actual VS 2017 prompt.)

You may be thinking about the CL, _CL_, LINK, and _LINK_ environment variables which can be set by the user in order to inject compiler/linker options.

> If clang were to honor these variables instead of trying to reconstruct them on the fly based on some root,
> be it VCINSTALLDIR or based on finding cl.exe in the PATH, you could set them to whatever you want/need.

That sounds right to me. (INCLUDE and LIB seem to be honored already.)

STL