[cfe-dev] Bug in .clang-tidy parsing?

Paul Wicks via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 8 10:43:54 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Not sure if this is a bug or i'm just misunderstanding how configuration
for .clang-tidy is supposed to work.

In my .clang-tidy I have specified the checks to be run as follows:

Checks: >
    -*,
    cert-*,
    clang-analyzer-*,
    cppcoreguidelines-pro-*,
    -cppcoreguidelines-pro-bounds-pointer-arithmetic,
    misc-*,
    modernize-*,
    performance-*,

What I expect when I run clang-tidy is that it will run all the checks
except for cppcoreguidelines-pro-bounds-pointer-arithmetic and the llvm and
readability checks. Instead, clang-tidy seems to run every check. If I
change the list to just be something like this:

Checks: >
    -*,
    cert-*,
    clang-analyzer-*,

Then the expected behavior occurs, only the cert and clang-analyzer checks
are run. But if I add anything more, for example:

Checks: >
    -*,
    cert-*,
    clang-analyzer-*,
    modernize-*,

Then again, all checks are run, not just cert, clang-analyzer and
modernize. Is this expected behavior?

-Paul Wicks