[cfe-dev] A new clang-based documentation tool

barbara via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 4 12:26:47 PDT 2017

As the developers of DoxyPress we have become extremely familiar with
the code base we inherited from Doxygen two years ago. There is an
option in Doxygen for clang assisted parsing using libClang, not
libTooling.  It is not using clang as the primary parser for C++.  The
maintainer uses libClang in conjunction with the lex only parser to
process the names of templates when the lex parser reaches an invalid
state.

DoxyPress was refactored over a year ago to use a combination of
libClang to extract comments and libTooling for full C++ parsing.
Neither library was sufficient on its own.  We have worked with many
companies who were unable to parse C++ code with Doxygen who can now use
DoxyPress seamlessly.

As a great test we have generated docs for clang itself with a better
html output than current Doxygen output.  Doxygen was a great product at
one time but each time C++ changes the maintainer has to add new lex
rules by hand to the parser.  Cool part about using clang is we get
support for the new standard with very little effort.

Barbara
Co-Founder of CopperSpice and DoxyPress

On 8/2/2017 11:37 PM, Csaba Raduly via cfe-dev wrote:
> There's also Doxygen, which can also use clang libraries for parsing :)

---