[cfe-dev] warn_unused_result attribute on class definition not applying to methods declared in that class

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 19 05:58:31 PDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Craig Topper via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Merging Erich Keane's response here. Somehow his reply branched.

> I think this is because of the behavior outlined here.
>
>   /// \brief Returns true if this function or its return type has the
>   /// warn_unused_result attribute. If the return type has the attribute and
>   /// this function is a method of the return type's class, then false will
> be
>   /// returned to avoid spurious warnings on member methods such as
> assignment
>   /// operators.
>   bool hasUnusedResultAttr() const { return getUnusedResultAttr() !=
> nullptr; }
> [Keane, Erich] I don't really see a situation where the exception for
> spurious warnings is correct.  Assignment operators typically return a
> reference, thus this is suppressed anyway.  Either way, this is a much
> bigger hammer than it should use, I suspect we should just special-case the
> ones we wish to suppress.  What is particularly annoying about this
> suppression is that it will only work for MEMBER operators, not all
> operators, so it is wrong in the first place!! Looking through operators
> only the following would be subject to the warning anyway:
>
> 1- Post increment/decrement <-- warning is possibly invalid?
> 2- arithmetic operators  <-- warning is probably valid.
>
> Looking through history, it seems that the suppression of the warning on
> references/pointers was added AFTER this, so I wonder if simply removing the
> "getCorrespondingMethodInClass" condition is the right thing?  If we decide
> situation 1 above should be excepted, we should specifically except IT, for
> both member and non-member.

Keep in mind that this attribute has three different spellings:

* [[clang::warn_unused_result]] -- we can do whatever we want here.
* __attribute__((warn_unused_result)) and [[gnu:warn_unused_result]]
-- we have some latitude, but should prefer to behave the same way as
GCC.
* [[nodiscard]] -- we should follow what the standard says.

For the [[nodiscard]] spelling, it sounds like this is behaving
incorrectly already. For the [[clang::warn_unused_result]] spelling, I
agree with Erich -- this seems like a bigger hammer than we need, and
it surely should work for nonmember operators as well as member
operators. I would probably diagnose on post inc/dec (and arithmetic
operators) because ignoring that result when the class is marked to
warn on unused results seems in keeping with the intent of the
attribute. For the GNU spellings, I'd say we should mimic whatever GCC
does if we think it's defensible and it isn't a burden to support that
way.

~Aaron