[cfe-dev] Configuration files

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 27 11:58:48 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

I agree with both points.

> - Automatically picking up options from user or system configuration
> files is too dangerous IMO!

There are definitely good user-experience reasons to want to do this - It might be nice to have some global configuration file that causes Clang to default to using -march=native or use some particular include path (setting CPATH and friends often works, but can also be flaky). The problem is indeed build system interaction, dealing with incompatible options, etc. For many things our last-option-wins scheme will do the right thing, but it is not clear, for example, that -nostdinc would have the expected effect if the config file adds include paths.

 -Hal

> [...]
> >
> > If neither --config nor CLANGCFG are specified, default config file
> > is searched in the following order:
> > 	- ~/.llvm/clang.cfg
> > 	- /etc/llvm/clang.cfg
> > 	- clang.cfg in the directory where clang executable resides.
> >
> > Configuration file is the sequence of compiler options specified in
> > one or several lines. Lines started with '#' possibly prepended
> > with space characters are comments, they are ignored. Lines
> > started with '#" in the first column immediately followed by ':'
> > are reserved for directives. The file may reference other files
> > using usual syntax for response files: @included_file. Example of
> > configuration file:
> >
> > 	# Frontend options
> > 	-std=c++14 -fcxx-exceptions
> > 	# Directories
> > 	@include-dirs.cfg
> > 	@library-dirs
> >
> > Name of the active configuration file and options it provided can
> > be obtained by call of clang with options '-v' or '-###'.
> >
> > ------ End of user documentation ------
> >
> > Notes:
> >
> > 	1. What should be the name of default config file, 'default.cfg'
> > 	or 'clang.cfg'? If some tool other than clang will use the same
> > 	mechanism, name 'clang.cfg' looks more appropriate.
> > 	2. Should compiler emit a warning (or even an error) if the
> > 	specified configuration file was not found? Obviously absence of
> > 	default config file should be silently ignored, as well as empty
> > 	CLANGCFG variable. But what if configuration specified by
> > 	--config is not found? This looks like a severe error, as user
> > 	expectation are broken.
> > 	3. Default config file may be searched for in  the directory where
> > 	clang executable resides. Should configuration specified by
> > 	--config be searched in this directory as well? I would say no,
> > 	because a user who need tuning configurations may prepare them in
> > 	home directory or use those provided by installation in system
> > 	directories. Ability to place default config into binary
> > 	directory is convenient for compiler developer or CI tools, they
> > 	may uses several variants of compiler simultaneously.
> > 	4. Format of proposed config file is in fact gnu response file.
> > 	YAML format mentioned by Richard looks nice but it requires
> > 	development of proper parser. I would propose at first implement
> > 	the simple format. In future other format can be supported, we
> > 	can distinguish formats by putting a directive like
> > 	'#:format=yaml' or even automatically.
> > 	5. Some comments may be reserved for future use. Format directive
> > 	mentioned above is an example. The sequence '#:' proposed as
> > 	marker is absolutely arbitrary, any other prefix may be used. Now
> > 	compiler may warn if it sees such comment. Probably we do not
> > 	need to bother about the future extensions now.
> > 	6. Using response files in the form @file can imitate include
> > 	directive. If a user do not want to copy-and-past pieces of
> > 	config files, he may structure them using this feature.

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility
Argonne National Laboratory