[cfe-dev] Configuration files

David Chisnall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 19 03:15:34 PDT 2016

On 19 Sep 2016, at 11:05, Renato Golin via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> * If Clang uses the option "--config foo.cfg", *replace* any other,
> with reverse search patch (first local dir, then ~/.llvm, then
> /etc/llvm)
> * Allow the user to omit the ".cfg" extension, or not even create it
> in the first place (I prefer it that way, see below)
> * Clang -v and -### to show which configuration it's using (full path)

I’d also add:

I’d like to see {foo}-clang interpreted as equivalent to clang --config {foo}.  We currently understand {triple}-clang, but this isn’t enough to describe most cross-compile toolchains.  I’d love to be able to drop a sysroot (maybe a cross-linker) and a config file in a system with a working clang and have cross compilation.

We should also probably automatically silence unused options from config files.  For example, if my cross-compile toolchain passes some extra linker arguments with -Wl,-foo, then I don’t want every single line in my build to complain that -Wl is unused in conjunction with -c.

David