[cfe-dev] VisitUnaryOperator called twice in RecursiveASTVisitor when post-order traversal

Gennadiy Vikentiy via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 15 05:29:56 PST 2016

Hi,

I'm new to Clang LibTooling. I am using `RecursiveASTVisitor` to
traverse the AST in post-order (i.e. with `shouldTraversePostOrder()`
returning true). I am finding that one particular `Visit` function,
`VisitUnaryOperator` is called twice (other `Visit` functions seem to
be fine). In pre-order traversal, it is called once as expected. I'm
using the latest svn Clang. Am I missing something?

Here is minimal example which illustrates the problem (based on
[this]( http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2014/05/01/modern-source-to-source-transformation-with-clang-and-libtooling)
example)

    #include <iostream>

    #include "clang/AST/AST.h"
    #include "clang/AST/ASTConsumer.h"
    #include "clang/AST/RecursiveASTVisitor.h"
    #include "clang/Frontend/ASTConsumers.h"
    #include "clang/Frontend/CompilerInstance.h"
    #include "clang/Frontend/FrontendActions.h"
    #include "clang/Tooling/CommonOptionsParser.h"
    #include "clang/Tooling/Tooling.h"

    using namespace clang;
    using namespace clang::driver;
    using namespace clang::tooling;

    static llvm::cl::OptionCategory ToolingSampleCategory("Tooling Sample");

    class MyASTVisitor : public RecursiveASTVisitor<MyASTVisitor> {
    public:
      MyASTVisitor() {
      }

      bool shouldTraversePostOrder() const {
        // if returns false then "Inside VisitUnaryOperator" printed
once (expected)
        // if returns true  then "Inside VisitUnaryOperator" printed
twice (why?)
        return true;
      }

      bool VisitUnaryOperator(UnaryOperator * s){
        std::cout << "Inside VisitUnaryOperator" << std::endl;
        return true;
      }

    };

    class MyASTConsumer : public ASTConsumer {
    public:
      MyASTConsumer() : Visitor() {}

      bool HandleTopLevelDecl(DeclGroupRef DR) override {
        for (DeclGroupRef::iterator b = DR.begin(), e = DR.end(); b != e; ++b) {
          Visitor.TraverseDecl(*b);
        }
        return true;
      }

    private:
      MyASTVisitor Visitor;
    };

    class MyFrontendAction : public ASTFrontendAction {
    public:
      MyFrontendAction() {}
      std::unique_ptr<ASTConsumer> CreateASTConsumer(CompilerInstance &CI,
                                                     StringRef file) override {
        return llvm::make_unique<MyASTConsumer>();
      }

    };

    int main(int argc, const char **argv) {

      CommonOptionsParser op(argc, argv, ToolingSampleCategory);
      ClangTool Tool(op.getCompilations(), op.getSourcePathList());

      return Tool.run(newFrontendActionFactory<MyFrontendAction>().get());
    }

And here is the code snippet which this tool is run on:

    int main() {
      int x = -1;
      return 0;
    }