[cfe-dev] BoF: Raising Next Generation of LLVM Developers

Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 2 01:29:52 PDT 2016

Hi Alex,
On 01/11/16 14:21, Alex Bradbury wrote:
> On 31 October 2016 at 13:20, Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev
> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>    We think dedicating a BoF could kick off a fruitful discussion if we get
>> all parties involved. Firstly, sharing experience and getting more people
>> interested in mentoring will help. Secondly, asking the participating (ex-)
>> students can give us better understanding of the daily issues they have/had.
>> Lastly, potentially involving HR people could help to transition our best
>> students (or unemployed contributors) to more stable positions and thus
>> keeping them around longer.
>>
>>    We have thought of a several potential directions for this BoF:
>>
>>    * Discuss how to make contributions to llvm easier. Eg. classify the
>> bugs/fixmes for newbies and put them online...
> Hi Vassil. This is a fantastic idea for a BoF. I'd perhaps add
> improved documentation and tutorials to the list.
That's a good point.

> I've just shared a very straight-forward RFC based on a lightning talk
> on the same topic at the LLVM Cauldron earlier this year, which may
> also be of interest
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-November/106696.html
I read the mail thread and the slides. Nice! It seems that having a
'welcome bot' and default reviewer assigned by analyzing the previous
committers in the area could a good solution. I guess that could be also
something to raise up at the 'migrate to github' BoF as it seems there
are already such tools available there.

Cheers,
Vassil