[cfe-dev] [Openmp-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 31 20:21:43 PDT 2016

I think that we should settle on a name and move on with this. Furthermore, I think that something broad, like 'parallel', is a good term for this. 'compiler-rt' is also broad (there are lots of different runtime libraries in it). I think that we, the larger LLVM community, want the SE developers and the lib*offload developers to form a mutually-collaborating part of the LLVM community, and so putting those two libraries in the same LLVM project makes sense. This will make it easy for, and will encourage, developers of both libraries to pay attention to commits to both libraries.

Given the nature of parallel-programming models, however, we don't want this to be too restricted in scope. Non-accelerator-based parallel programming runtimes can also potentially have a place here.

Thanks again,
Hal