[cfe-dev] [libcxx] What C standard is assumed in libcxx?

Asiri Rathnayake via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 25 02:46:03 PDT 2016

Hi All,

libc++ assumes an underlying C library to provide lower level
functionalities (and sometimes even other libraries like pthreads).

My question is, is there a minimum C standard required from the C library?
I couldn't find this documented anywhere.

For example, the current std::thread support (C++11) does not assume the
underlying C library to be C11 compliant, it instead depends on pthreads.
On the other hand, we do seem to assume a C11 compliant <ctime> header
(e.g. timespec).

This works OK for us at the moment (bits of C11 but mostly C99), but I'd
like to get the general policy towards the C standard clarified.

I plan to update http://libcxx.llvm.org/index.html with the outcome of this
discussion.

Thanks!

/ Asiri