[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] LLVM Releases: Upstream vs. Downstream / Distros

Frédéric Riss via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 13 08:27:10 PDT 2016

> On May 11, 2016, at 9:16 AM, Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> This is a long email :-) I've made some comments inline, but I'll
> summarize my thoughts here:
>
> - I like to think that the major releases have been shipped on a
> pretty reliable six-month schedule lately. So we have that going for
> us :-)
>
> - It seems hard to align our upstream schedule to various downstream
> preferences. One way would be to release much more often, but I don't
> know if that's really desirable.

I’d like to also point out that it’s not only about the schedule, but also a lot about the release strategy. For example, we branch a very long time before we release externally. At the beginning of a new release qualification, we will cherry-pick most of what’s happening on trunk to the release branch. At that time it is still good to take new optimizations, or refactorings that will make working on the branch later easier. And then we slow down, but we still take miscompile fixes and common crashers for something like 4 months after the branch point. This is very different from what is happening upstream, and I’m not sure it would be good for the community releases to try to unify with this.

That being said, it makes things a bit easier for us when we branch close to an open-source release, and it would be nice to be able to plan on doing this.

The result of our qualification work is of course contributed to trunk, it’s left to the discretion of individual contributors if they want to nominate fixes for the current open-source release branch. I’m sure we could be better at this, and I’ll try to message this internally.

Fred