[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] LLVM Releases: Upstream vs. Downstream / Distros

Daniel Berlin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 12 09:07:10 PDT 2016

I'll bite:

Do you really believe you could ever get these folks to choose consistent
llvm versions anyway?

Or will you always have to do the work yourself anyway?

In my talks with a number of these projects, they pretty much don't care
what anyone else does, and plan to stick to their own import/etc schedules
no matter what LLVM does with stable releases :)

(For reference, Google *ships* the equivalent of about 13-16 linux
distributions in products, uses about 5-6x that internally, and we have a
single monolithic source repository for the most part.  I have the joy of
owning the third party software policies/etc for it, and so  end up
responsible for trying to deal with maintaining single versions of llvm for
tens to hundreds of packages).