[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Fwd: Raising CMake minimum version to 3.4.3

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 3 11:19:28 PDT 2016

On 3 May 2016 at 17:07, Chris Bieneman via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Since there seems to be no strong objections remaining I’d like to propose the following timeline and process:
>
> 4/23 - I will send another follow-up email reminding everyone of this change and timeline
> 4/30 - I will send a final notice an hour before making the change to the LLVM, Clang, Compiler-RT, Clang-Tools-Extra, LibCXX, LibCXXABI and Test-Suite repos
>
> During the week of 4/30 I will revert as necessary if bots fail. Hopefully having the change permanently landed by the middle of the week.
>
> Does this sound agreeable to everyone?

I'd like to propose a different approach. How about we do this the
other way around? Maybe we should try the "move first, fix later",
than the "break first, despair later".

This week we (Linaro) have finished our buildbot migration, all of
them running on CMake 3.4.3. I'd like to see if other bot maintainers
could take the same effort before a certain date.

So, we can still have the same dates (in May, of course), but with
different "labels":

Soon, you send an announcement:
 * Saying the consensus is to move to CMake 3.4.3 as well as a
compiled CMake for all platforms,
 * That the technical reason is strong enough to do so, even if it
incurs more work to some people,
 * That *ALL* bot owners should migrate as soon as possible (no later
than 30th).

On 23rd, you send a reminder to the list informing all bot owners that
time is running out.
 * If they can't do it, who could help them
 * If they need push in the CMake community, or a new stable release,
it's better to have it now than then

On 30th, you do the migration as you proposed.

It's all the same, but with the difference that we're involving all
bot owners, and hopefully not having to revert too many times such a
troublesome change (CMake changes always mess up the bots anyway).

Anyway, for ARM/AArch64, we're good to go.

cheers,
--renato