[cfe-dev] How to start develop Clang

Nikola Smiljanic via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 2 16:13:22 PDT 2016

Hi, and welcome.

1.
My advice would be to look at bugzilla, browse bug reports and find
something that interests you. Improving diagnostics, fixing crashes, defect
reports, features, there's so much to choose from. Spend some time
investigating the issue, you'll likely have to read the standard and won't
have complete understanding at first but don't let that discourage you.
Send emails to this list or ask for help on IRC if you get stuck.

2.
It really depends on what you're comfortable with. I'd say that debugging
using Visual Studio is much easier than anything else (sorry LLDB folks),
but I'm sure many seasoned developers would disagree with me. On the other
hand builds tend to be faster on Linux and running tests is easier. The
nice thing is that you get a choice, whatever works for you.